Subject: 2.1.2.3 -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:39:03 -0700

Says David Ibbetson:
>>I first met this style numbering as a teen-ager in a maths [OK I'm
English] text book written by the master who was teaching us. Several
of us commented, but we found that it made reference to the book easy,
and I've liked it ever since.

The U.S. military is a great user of numbered paragraphs. I once was
asked to modify a menu-oriented manual for a software program. The
opening menu had four numbered options. Option 1 was covered by
chapter 1, Option 2 by chapter 2, and so on.

As I got into the project, I organized it so the numbers you pressed
to get to a menu option became its paragraph number. I don't know if
this was ever useful to anyone, but it was a way of using the numbers.

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com
San Diego, California

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net