CHAT: gallows or pox

Subject: CHAT: gallows or pox
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 11:39:31 -0400

Apologies for the excess of ">" I'm retransmitting this after it was
properly rejected because I failed to complete the subject line. Those who
think I was wrong to choose the soubriquet "idiot" are again confounded.

>In the middle of a long, enjoyable, humerous post, the following is given:
>>Once at a social gathering, Gladstone said to Disraeli, "I
>> predict, Sir, that you will die either by hanging or of some vile
>> disease". Disraeli replied, "That all depends, sir, upon whether
>> I embrace your principles or your mistress."
>>

>The ODQ, third edition, gives:

>"Wilkes," said Lord Sandwich, "you will die either on the gallows, or of
the pox."
>"That," replied Wilkes blandly, "must depend on whether I embrace your
lordship's principles or your mistress."
>--Charles Chenevix-Trench, _Portrait of a Patriot_ (1962)., ch3. But see H.
Brougham, Statesmen of George III_, third series (1843) p. 189. Also Attr.
Samuel Foote.

>The fourth edition has more colloquial language from both speakers, gives
as its source Sir Charles Petrie _The Four Georges_ (1935); and adds
"probably apocryphal".

>I think it was said in Parliament, but I don't know why I believe that.

David Ibbetson ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
133 Wilton Street #506 Phone (406) 363-6692
Canada M5A 4A4 Fax (406) 363-4987

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net