Working long hours.

Subject: Working long hours.
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 11:12:49 -0400

Dick Harris writes:
>I remember reading about a book called "Soul of a New Machine",
>which talked about the development of a new computer at Data General. (I
>didn't read the book -- just the review). The review mentioned that the
>author of the book inquired why the designers worked some incredibly long
>days. The answer was "Because if we do it well, we'll get to do it again!".

>Thinking back over my own career, I realized that the times I put in the
>most effort were when I thought they would make a difference. Isn't this
>the real key?

In my experience a common reason for working long hours is "enjoyment".

As an example, some 25-30 yrs ago, in the UK, I and a colleague each had a
16-year old, fresh from an early Tech College programming course, working
for us. In the UK there is very properly a limit on the amount of overtime
16-year-olds may work. Fortunately my colleague spotted that, in less than a
month these two, working on a joint project, had exhausted their annual
(unpaid) overtime allocations.
David (the idiot) Ibbetson ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --
Isaac Newton
David (the idiot who's lost the contents of his Nicknames directory) Ibbetson
David Ibbetson
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com

I ask my friends to send me their internet
addresses and any group details that I should have.

TIA for your trouble.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net