UPDATE on dealing with SPAM from AOL users

Subject: UPDATE on dealing with SPAM from AOL users
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 10:41:29 -0400

Several folks have asked how to respond to SPAMS from AOL email addresses.
I checked with the AOL Terms of Service staff this morning.

SPAMs are a violation of AOLs Terms of Service agreement. (This only
refers to 'real' SPAM, BTW---inappropriate mass postings. Single
commercial email messages posted to a single internet address are NOT a TOS
violation. That's one of the reasons they ask for complete headers.)

AOL used to have---up until very recently---a single address
TOS -at- aol -dot- com
for all complaints about Terms of Service violations. To speed up response
times, they have divided it up into several separate for external
(email/newsgroup) and internal (chat/instant message) abuses. (I missed
the announcement of the address change, so I've been giving outdated
information about this. I'm sorry for any confusion that resulted.)

NEW INFORMATION
To report an email SPAM, or an individual email message containing illegal
or seriously offensive material (offensively vulgar sexual stuff, kiddie
porn, personal threats, etc.):

Forward all suspected abuse originating from AOL user addresses to:
TOSEmail1 -at- aol -dot- com or TOSEmail2 -at- aol -dot- com

The offending message -must- be -forwarded- with complete headers, NOT
cut/pasted, so dealing with digest material is a problem. Those of us
getting individual messages (and the listowner, of course) should get
prompt action, however.

BTW, last week a colleague reported a **SUPER SEX CHAT** jerk (she was
sending Instant Messages to random AOL users advertising her new 900#).
The account was suspended within 2 hours. They -do- pay attention.

@Kat _______________________________ katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY
Technical writing / Document design / Information services

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net