Re: Programming Tools -- How Prevalent

Subject: Re: Programming Tools -- How Prevalent
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 13:28:22 -0700

Mike Huber says...

>My manuals look clear to me, but everybody thinks thier prose
>is golden.

Nah. Mine is platinum.

But to expand on something, I said earlier...

>Some employers do their damndest to screw any Technical Writer that
>shows any sign of being technically competent. They'll also make
>life for you as difficult as possible if you show any independence
>or ability to write.

Technical competent is completely worthless if your employer decides
that Technical Writers are <expletive deleted>.

I have as more software education than many engineers _and_ more
software experience. But this has not prevented some engineers from
telling me how to write the document when it is clear that they haven't
the slightest idea themselves. And to make matters worse, their
managers will back them up because they have "engineer" in their job
title.

Or to put this another way, employer stupidity trumps tech writing
competence.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net