Re: TW Course-Help

Subject: Re: TW Course-Help
From: K Watkins <kwatkins -at- QUICKPEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:23:00 -0300

>1. What do you wish you had known about the field of technical
>writing *before* you entered it? (This information could range from
>specific writing practices or dealing with deadline pressure to the
>necessity of *asking* companies at job fairs if they need technical
>writers, as was discussed recently.)

I'm one of the ones who fell into this field without looking.
I came about eleven years ago with:
- decent wordprocessing skills (now I would need broader computer skills)
- a great love of English and significant skill in making it work
- pleasure in learning complex stuff quickly
- a personal contact who linked me up with my first job
- willingness to prove myself at a low salary for six months
These sufficed for me. Sometimes I still pause and savor the delight of
having discovered this profession.

>2. What advice would you give an aspiring technical writer?

Consider it your mission to do as much as you can toward putting the
technical support staff out of business.

K Watkins
kwatkins -at- quickpen -dot- com
speaking for myself, not my employers

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net