Re: Fonts for Online documents

Subject: Re: Fonts for Online documents
From: David_Dubin -at- NOTES -dot- PW -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 08:12:00 EDT

A great many studies have proven that onscreen readability is increased through
the use of sans serif fonts. Although I will have to search for them, I'll give
you the argument that I used successfully here. When I find the reference to
the studies, I'll send them to you.

This is the argument I used with great success:

Let me ask three questions.
First, do you not agree that Microsoft is the largest, and most successful
software manufacturer in the world?
Next, would you not agree that Microsoft would not release a major software
interface, such as Windows without a great deal of study and testing?
Finally, based on Microsoft's studies and testing would you not agree that if
we follow Microsoft's standards for GUI environments and documentation, such as
Windows Help, we will be in synergy with the GUI requirements and user needs?

Therefore, if we use Helvetica (or Arial) as our base font and title font for
online documentation, are we not using appropriate judgment in keeping with
online requirements, studies, and standards?

David Dubin -at- notes -dot- pw -dot- com@Internet
This has been one man's opinion, yours may vary with mileage.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net