Grammar Checkers

Subject: Grammar Checkers
From: "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 22:52:31 -0700

Colleagues,

Grammar checkers, from what I have read and what I have experienced,
are wrong as often as they are right. Of course, the developers keep
telling us they are getting better and better. Maybe so, but I don't
waste my time with them. Gee, I'm arrogant!

A few years ago, James J. Kilpatrick devoted his The Writer's Art
column to a grammar checking exercise the did on a short essay written
by his 9-year-old granddaughter. The checker he used had been sent to
him by the developer, and I don't remember the name of it. It was 100
percent wrong! Yes, mes enfantes, it blew every single, solitary call.
And this was on material written by a 9-year-old. How much worse off
would we TCs be. ;-)

Dan Wise