Results of Editor Interview Questions

Subject: Results of Editor Interview Questions
From: Dan Martillotti <danm -at- DEV -dot- TIVOLI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 13:41:56 CDT

Howdy! Thanks to everyone (Marylin Sheddan, Peg Ferraro, Karen Wiley,
Corinne Griffiths, John Glenn, Suzanne Wood, Glenda Jeffrey, Jim Grey,
Tim Hobbs, and Bob Handlin) that responded to my interview question. I had
enough requests to post the responses, so here they are!

* Most people suggested providing the candidate with a sample to see how they
edit. Apparently, the editing test is very common. Look to see how the
candidate handles inconsistent terms, paragraphed information that could
be presented in a bulleted list, and if you have a style guide, let the
editor use it to see how well they work with an existing style guide.

* What is your favorite style guide and why do you use it?

* If I have a 300 page document that's a rush job and you must edit it by the
end of the day, how would you approach the job?

* How do you deal with overly-sensitive writers who question most every edit
you make, even when your edits are clearly within the specified corporate
style?

* Find out if the candidate is used to working in a team/isolated or both
environment. Is the editor used to being the decision maker or used to
deferring to the author's decision? This is important to see if the editor
will work in you environemnt.

* Tim Hobbs referred me to "Behaviorly Oriented Interviews Find the Right
Hires" in the June '95 issue of The Human Resources Professional.

and the winner with the best response, Bob Handlin, with:

"Are you a pain in the ass?" comes to mind;)" (In reference to who is the owner
of the book and who has the final say.)

Dan Martillotti ******************
* * *
Tivoli Systems * * * *
(512)436-8359 * * * ** ** "The more that you read, the more
danm -at- tivoli -dot- com * * * * * * * things you will know. The more that
* * * * * you learn, the more places you'll go."
Class of '90 * - Dr. Seuss
***