Re: Screen Captures in HTML - WMF files

Subject: Re: Screen Captures in HTML - WMF files
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:47:11 HST

>The only problems we've found [with WMF] so far are:
1. You must have a program that will export as .wmf. AutoCAD does it
nicely, allowing me to select which objects I want to be in the file. You
cannot screencapture to a wmf or it will lose its vector qualities.

2. Don't save dialog images as wmf's. Since they aren't vector, the wmf
seems to mess them up.<

Another drawback with WMFs: under W3.1, each one can consume a large quantity
of system resources (you know, those little 64KB heaps that crippled Windows
for years).

I've also had weird results when a WMF is made on one system, then used on
another. If the display resolution or drivers differ, or if a font the WMF uses
is missing, the system may crash when you try to use the WMF in an application.
Or colors may change, or a different font appears, or the text gets converted
to a jumble of lines.

But then, that could simply be me. <G> I've been told I'm hard on PCs.

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."