Re: Possessive of a name that ends in X

Subject: Re: Possessive of a name that ends in X
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:09:55 -0800

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:54:39 -0500, Sigrid A. Schoepel wrote:

>How would you punctuate a name that ends in X to make it possessive?

>Ajax'
>Ajax's

>We've looked in The New York Public Library Writer's Guide (nothing close) and Chicago (6.19-6.20). We are still wondering, can anyone help?

>Our conclusion thus far is to use Ajax's.

The "proper" form to create a posessive is *always* (well, except for
the usual "special cases") to add apostrophe-s (as in, "Mr. Jones's
computer"). Adding just the apostrophe is generally accepted and
usually seems less "redundant" (for lack of a better word).

"Ajax" is another matter, as far as I can see. "X" may make a "ks"
sound, but it's still its own letter and standard rules should apply.

Your friend and mine,
Matt