Re: Possessive of a name that ends in X

Subject: Re: Possessive of a name that ends in X
From: "Parks, Beverly L." <parksb -at- HUACHUCA-EMH7 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:14:00 MST

Sigrid A. Schoepel[SMTP:sas -at- WIGGINS -dot- PENTATECHINC -dot- COM] asked-->

How would you punctuate a name that ends in X to make it possessive?
Ajax'
Ajax's
We've looked in The New York Public Library Writer's Guide (nothing
close)
<<

Sigrid, look on page 270 of the NY Pub Lib Writer's Guide. It's not
dead-on, but I think it's fairly close. It says:

"Multisyllabic names ending in the eez or z sound, particularly Greek
names, traditionally take no s after the apostrophe."

Also, the paragraph right above it that deals with forming possessives
and plural possessives of last names ending in s could also apply, IMO.

When you get right down to it, both ways look okay. If I applied the "z
sound" rule, I'd leave off the s.

Bev Parks
parksb -at- huachuca-emh7 -dot- army -dot- mil