Re: Electronic books/PDF drawbacks

Subject: Re: Electronic books/PDF drawbacks
From: Peter Gold <pgold -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:55:59 -0700

Disclaimer up front: I work for an Adobe / Frame VAR.

Acrobat files created from FrameMaker 5.x files can preserve all Frame
hypertext and cross-reference links within and across files with no extra
work for an author except clicking one check box. In addition, selected
paragraph formats, such as main and subordinate headings, can be made
into Acrobat bookmarks, indented hierarchically, with only a few
additional clicks.

File size relates to original file size and contents. Graphics can be
compressed to make smaller files for faster opening and transfer. Indexes
can be created with Catalog, one of the Acrobat family of products; these
indexes work with Search, part of the Exchange product, and also
available for CD-ROMs. These indexes are full-text, accept logical complex
search criteria, work across many hundreds or thousands of documents, and
are fast. They return a ranked list of "hits". Opening a document on the
hit list reveals highlighted hits.

Regards,

Peter gold
pgold -at- netcom -dot- com