Re: FrameMaker vs. PageMaker

Subject: Re: FrameMaker vs. PageMaker
From: Peter Gold <pgold -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 11:25:08 -0700

Disclamer up front: I work for an Adobe / FrameMaker VAR

The two most important differences between FrameMaker and PageMaker IMHO
are these:

1. PageMaker is a collector application. You use it to bring in material
created in a wide range of other applications, text only, graphics only,
or combinations of text and graphics. It's easy in PM to "pour" such
imported material into page containers, either ones you've prepared in
advance, or create by dragging a "loaded mouse pointer" across a page
like a paintbrush. PageMaker is not suited to "authoring", writing text
and formatting it as you go, though you can do it. PM does offer fabulous
text-runaround powers, and many other features.

2. FrameMaker is an authoring application, best suited to creating
information in large amounts, with internal and external
cross-references (within the same "chapter" document or across chapters,
and even volumes). You can manage many individual such chapters with a
single "book file"; print any or all of the files that comprise a single
book, maintain references across them all, create TOC, index, etc from
all members of a set with little more effort than creating the same from
a single document. Many individual authors can collaborate and contribute
to a single project; changes in formatting can be easily propagated
across all the components of a large multifile project. And, of course,
much more.

Nutshell summary: PM for collecting submissions from many sources and
creating complex layouts. FM for collaborative creating, managing,
revising large and complex information document sets.

Currently, as far as I know, PM does not import ("place") FM files.

Regards,
Peter Gold
pgold -at- netcom -dot- com