Re: Conferences and seminars

Subject: Re: Conferences and seminars
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 02:58:15 -0700

At 08:10 PM 7/11/96 -0400, Kim Keegan wrote:
<snip>
>Of course, I would really rather save up my "one every six months" and
attend the
>Annual STC Conference in Toronto, but that's not 'til next spring. I work
for a
>small company (approx. 30 people), so money will be an issue.

Has anyone out there
>been in a similar situation? ie. How to sell to your manager the idea of the
>company spending lots of money and you being away from the office for so
long to
>attend the STC conference. I have never been to an STC conference.
====================================
Hi Kim

I once blitzed my boss about going to an STC conference and found out in the
process that he needed to budget for it annually. He thought that settled
it, but I really wanted to go.

I wrote him a letter and presented it to him at staff meeting. I told him
I *was* attending the conference. However, if he would pay costs, I would
be glad to attend any sessions he highlighted, and when I returned from the
conference I promised give a mini seminar on what I learned, complete with
handouts, to our Publications Group.

I also told him that if I paid my own way I wasn't going to share. (Looking
at that as I write, I think I wouldn't use that tactic again.)

In the end he not only sent me, but also a Pubs manager, and a graphics
person. Each of us had the assignment to cover our area of expertise and
report back to the group.

We did. He was so impressed with the amount of information we brought back
to the group that ever after he wholeheartedly supported STC by recommending
that we join, paying our dues, and sending us in turn to STC conferences
(sigh). For my audacity, I was allowed to do the first signup for STC - and
won a prize from STC for signing up the most new members during a new
members contest.

The key point here is to show the boss what *he* will get out of sending
you, then make sure you deliver what you promise.

Marilynne

<snip>