Re: worsrt documentation -Reply

Subject: Re: worsrt documentation -Reply
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 03:33:01 -0700

At 02:22 PM 7/12/96 -0600, Eric W. Dahlinger wrote:
><Periods had two spaces after them, >

>Why is this a problem? Leaving 2 spaces after a period at the end of
>a sentence seems to be a sensible way of improving readability. Or
>is this an old typist's habit that the computer age has solved
>somehow?

>Two spaces after a period was common when the state of the art was a
>manual typewriter and monospaced fonts. Yes, it was done to improve
>readability and it seemed to work in that environment.
>It seems so totally silly today, when most of us have access to
>printing/composition equipment that is at least a little more high
>tech than the old manual Royal with those jammin' keys.

>Eric Dahlinger
>Newer Technology

I have thought about this time and time again. In my opinion, leaving two
spaces after a period improves readability. I think the old-time typists
had a good idea.

Unless your high-tech solution automatically leaves extra space at the end
of a sentence, I think the old-time typist was right.

Marilynne
mrsmith -at- cts -dot- com