Re: best documentation

Subject: Re: best documentation
From: Joe Sokohl <jsokohl -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 17:04:25 GMT

In article <s1e3d140 -dot- 000 -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu> David Hailey,
FAHAILEY -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu writes:
>The best documentation I ever saw was for an obscure company
>that made computer tables. It began with "Go get a cup of
>coffee, this is a one cup of coffee project."

If that doc were for the Agio computer tables (the line sounds familiar),
then it's fitting, since the desks are EXcellent (I own one myself, but I
don't work for them).

My favorite _user_ doc, by far, are--

* FrameMaker 3.0 suite for Macintosh (great design, easily navigable,
little extraneous doc)
* Macintosh User's Guide (extraordinary design, usability, and clarity)
* Most of Claris' doc: FileMaker Pro 2.0, HyperCard 2.1 Getting
Started, and ClarisWorks (same as above docs)
* Macintax/TurboTax online doc

Worst:
* Suitcase (spent the first 1/3 giving a history of the program & a
description of how it works--I still don't know how _I'm_ supposed to use
it!)
* Some of the client-specific documentation I've had to write--refernce
info no one will ever use, but it meets some liability requirement...
* "User guides" from the U.S. Army's SARSS-Objective logistics
software--10-point Univers body type on a 6.5-inch line with 11-point
leading--unreadable!

my two-cents' worth....

joe