Re: Looking for keycaps

Subject: Re: Looking for keycaps
From: Joe Sokohl <jsokohl -at- CAMPBELLSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 15:06:23 -0500

We're using Keystone, a font that came on the Canvas 3.5/Windows CD.
You could contact Deneba Software (305-596-5644) to see if they sell
fonts separately from their software. Also on the CD is TypeKeys, a
more photorealistic font (more 3-dimensionality). The firm Monotype
Typography, Inc. (847-718-0400) has a font called Keystrokes--very
similar to Keystone. Both of these are more outline reps of keys,
versus Typekeys's attempt to depict keys.

In addition, I once did a search on the Web for "font and key and
TrueType" and came up with a couple of shareware fonts.

Why don't you see it more often? Probably because the depiction of a
font is more of a picture (duhhh, Joe!) than a word or letter--and
thus it can get distracting. Plus, the font is aligned at the baseline
of the style--and its x-height can interfere with leading....

Hope this helps...

joe

Subject: Looking for keycaps
Author: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM> at Internet
Date: 7/22/96 2:48 PM

I'm doing a bunch of documentation in Frame and we'll probably
be doing help using Forehelp and maybe some HTML-based stuff
later. Here are my questions:

1. With regard to keystrokes in the documents, I want to use
keycaps. But I notice they aren't widely used? Are they
generally considered to be gaudy? Are there good reasons why I
shouldn't use them?

2. If I should use them, where can I find some good-looking ones
that'll survive in all my varied environments?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer