Re: two space or not two space...

Subject: Re: two space or not two space...
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:41:25 -0700

>However, as I learned to type on a *MANUAL* (gasp!!) typewriter, I have the
>habit of double-spacing after a period. Instead of trying to break a
>15-year old habit, I let my software do the work for me.

I broke my 35-year habit pretty quickly. Ironically, I now write a lot of
material in email format -- that is, using a monospaced font. I use vertical
white space to improve readability, and I double space after question marks
or quotes when I think the space doesn't look big enough.

The funny thing is that a period followed by a single space gives a lot of
horizontal white space in a monospaced font, so the old typewriter habit was
probably unnecessary in the first place. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Freelance Technical Writer
srm -at- c2 -dot- org Copyright 1996 Review Editor, IEEE Micro
http://www.c2.org/~srm/ All rights reserved President, Berkeley STC