Re: USAGE: screwdriver

Subject: Re: USAGE: screwdriver
From: Carla Martinek <carlam -at- MINERVA -dot- ODESTA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:25:23 -0500

<snip>
>Amazingly enough we are now in a bit of a quandary as to what to call a
>simple screwdriver. Suggestions include
> standard screwdriver
> slotted screwdriver
> straight slot screwdriver

>for one type and
> Phillips screwdriver (which is like the Allen wrench scenario)
> crosshead screwdriver
> x-head screwdriver
> cross slot screwdriver

Brian:

I like the idea of the screw-head icon representing the correct type, but
my other choice would be to use the terms "straight slot screwdriver" and
"cross slot screwdriver." They are the most accurately descriptive.

Whatever choice you make, you might want to indicate them in a section
right at the beginning stating the conventions used in the manual.

In manuals where I've used such a section, (conviently titled "Conventions
Used In This Manual") it's included descriptions/definitions of icons used
(warnings, cautions, etc.), and special terms or layout issues (...words in
BOLD ITALIC in this manual can also be found in the glossary...) or
whatever else you feel your reader needs to know before jumping in.

Regards,