Re: 15-inch monitors

Subject: Re: 15-inch monitors
From: Carla Martinek <carlam -at- MINERVA -dot- ODESTA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:07:25 -0500

Patty Ewy wrote:
>A while back my coworker/colleague/cohort posted a message to this group
>about justifying the cost of 17- or even 21-inch monitors for our tech writing
>group.
>The higher-ups seem willing to listen to our pleas for the equipment that would
>make us more efficient (!) but as part of our overall plan to get the new
>monitors, we are supposed to come up with a plan to use up/dispose of the
>existing 15-inch Macintosh monitors we use now.

Patty:

My suggestion is don't let the higher-ups take away your smaller monitors.
Use your two monitors together. Macs have no difficulty whatsoever if you
use two monitors for display, and your mouse pointer will travel seamlessly
between the two. The only drawback is you will need a video card for the
new monitor, so that you can keep the built-in video port for the smaller
monitor.

A few years ago, I was at Dow Chemical (excuse me... *The* Dow Chemical
Company, ahem.), and each person in our writing group had TWO 21-inch
monitors on their desk. You would not believe how much this assisted our
productivity. I used one screen almost exclusively for the document pages,
blown up to full size (or larger). The second screen I used for style,
color, and tool palettes, my email window, or anything else that would
interfere with my main document as I wrote and edited. It was such a
relief, and a timesaver, not to have to keep moving things around on the
screen or to the "back."