Re: software-eng-ese -Reply

Subject: Re: software-eng-ese -Reply
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:39:49 HST

"Instantiate" is used extensively in books, magazine articles, and programming
manuals to refer to the action an OO programming system uses to create an
instance (single, real item) of an abstract object defined by the OO language.
I think it arose when someone combined "instance" with "substantiate". Many OO
languages use clauses called "assertions" to define the properties or behavior
of an object, so maybe they borrowed substantiate from the lawyers/insurance
companies ("We could not substantiate your claim that you ever owned a Ferrari
, so we are turning down your claim that it was stolen.") Combining the two,
you substantiate an instance of an object, and true to the weird way some
programmers handle language, it got turned into "instantiate".

"Uniquify" sounds like one of those silly words I make up when I've been up too
long. <G>

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."