Re: Two spaces after a full stop

Subject: Re: Two spaces after a full stop
From: "Glanbrok, Slayer of Bluntskulls" <conehead -at- OVERTHE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:02:45 -0400

Peter Ring wrote:
>> <snip> I am of course fully aware of the traditions and rules of
typography, which by the way is based on traditions and experiences
far older than Gutenberg (see e.g. the beautiful old handwritten
Bibles, Korans, etc.) <snip> <<

Then I wrote:
>>Dispensing with the period at the end of a declarative sentence is not
an option! The period inside the parens doesn't count. <<

Then Bev Parks wrote:

It most certainly does count! Based on what you are saying, if there were
no parentheses in that sentence, you would end it as such:
"... Bibles, Korans, etc.." Two periods? I think not. That period in
the parens counts just as much as that same period if there were no
parens.

Dear Bev:

Checked any grammar books lately? The parenthetical clause is part of the sentence. A declarative sentence needs a period. As far as two periods, I also think not. And the period inside the parens (duh) belongs to "etc", which I'm sure you'll agree is an ABBREVIATION! (UPPERCASE for emphasis ...)

So perhaps you should check where you're standing before you bring out the saw!