Re: Tridant true

Subject: Re: Tridant true
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 10:29:44 -0600

On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, Robert Plamondon wrote:

*>You don't need to prove anything by first principles. You can do this
*>by example: quadrant, sextant, octant, tridant. The first three are
*>in the dictionary; the last is constructed with the same tools.

Okay, I no next to nothing about Latin, but this still seems wrong to me.

"Quadr(a)" + "ant",
"sext" + "ant",
"oct" + "ant",
"tri" + "ant", not "trid".

How about this as a counter example: quadrangle and triangle? "Tridant" is
a nonsense word; the proper construction should be "triant".

-Matt Hicks matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu
"This planet just stepped over the line, assemble the giant robot!"
-Dick Solomon, "3rd Rock from the Sun"