Re: LOCAL ON-LINE HTML DOC

Subject: Re: LOCAL ON-LINE HTML DOC
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 10:02:06 -0600

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Bob Morse wrote:

*> http://www.globaldialog.com/~morse/msv/admin.htm
*>
*>This particular sample flies in the face of those who argue (some strenuously)
*>for one-panel-at-a-time presentation--to avoid scrolling, which they contend
*>is a nuisance. I happen to disagree with that, and this sample is one long
*>continuous scroll, but with GUI "navigation bars" and section/subsection hyper-
*>text indices that make it easy (I think) to zoom in and out, or just to browse.

Well, it looks nice and it's easy enough to navigate, but it took two minutes
to load over our T3 line; I wouldn't want to access it via a dialup line. If,
as it appears from the subject line, it's intended to be only a locally
accessed file it should work okay.

It's an admittedly minor problem, but it always annoys me that this system
breaks down for short sections at the end of the document. Since all the
browsers that I'm familiar with consider the end of the HTML to be the end of
the document, they won't scroll a document like this so that the top of the
last section is at the top of the browser. Your last three sections are shown
when the link for the last section is selected. I note that you tried to
overcome this problem with a series of <BR> tags, but (probably because you
couldn't test every browser/platform combo -- the usual HTML-trick bugaboo)
you didn't include enough of them for it to work for me.

Still, it looks nice and works well, but then I'm not *vehemently* opposed to
scrolling Web pages.

-Matt Hicks matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu
"This planet just stepped over the line, assemble the giant robot!"
-Dick Solomon, "3rd Rock from the Sun"