Re: note taking

Subject: Re: note taking
From: Marci Abels <maa5906 -at- SMARTNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 18:23:44 -0500

At 04:19 PM 7/23/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm surprised at the lack of flaming retorts
>on this topic.

>How common is this practice? Personally, I went
>to college because I didn't want to be a secretary
>the rest of my life. Enlighten me here--are shorthand
>and production typing part of tech comm
>training nowadays? Should I expect to take a typing
>speed test if I apply for a new job?

>I truly feel for you, Mr. Collier. I don't know your
>age or experience level, but in my opinion you shouldn't
>be saddled with this. I'd present a comparison of
>costs to your project managers.

There's no substitution for being at the meeting. I don't mind taking notes
if they are to my advantage. And reading notes for a meeting I did not
attend is next to worthless for my research. I can present a comparison of
wages me vs. a sec/trans, but if I'm gonna be there anyweay, I'm asking for
the expenditure of the other person's time and wages in addition to mine,
not in substitution of same.