Re: Note Taking

Subject: Re: Note Taking
From: Marci Abels <maa5906 -at- SMARTNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 18:00:23 -0500

>Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 05:54:04
>To: Friedlander_Tori <torif -at- KSL -dot- CO -dot- IL>
>From: Marci Abels <maa5906 -at- smartnet -dot- net>
>Subject: Re: Note Taking

>> I agree with those who have said that it isn't the technical writer's
>> responsibility to play secretary at the meeting. It seems to me that
>> the technical writer is invited to attend such meetings for a reason
>> ... probably involved with enhancing the documentation. Focusing on
>> that aspect of it is much more important. (And that way, when you
>> disagree, you get to be involved in the rousing discussion rather than
>> have to sit passively on the sidelines putting down what everyone else
>> is talking about.)
>>
>> Tori Friedlander
>> torif -at- ksl -dot- co -dot- il
>>

>Frankly, my dears, 'tis all much ado about nothing - a tempest in a teapot,
if y'all will. If you feel comfortable taking notes and sharing them, do so,
even volunteer to do it. If it bothers you, don't offer, even refuse. Throw
a fit, if ya like.

>Actually, I find that being female makes me more likely to be asked to do
this. The male writers at my company are seldom asked to take minutes at a
team meeting, the team leader usually does it. There are, however, some
project leaders who always ask a female team member to do this. THe facts
that I am female, fairly new and a TW make me an easy target. My solution
was to send the team leader a photocopy of my handwritten minutes, done in
the style I usually take notes, outline form (except where I feel more
elaboration is needed) with little notations in the margins, etc. I told him
it was the best I could do, because I was under deadline. He got them in
order and distributed them for the next meeting. It wasn't a major problem.

>If I think taking notes at a meeting will allow me to get more information
than I would get otherwise, I'll jump at the chance. No way am I going to
spend hours gettnig them in order and passing them out. I just retype what
is necessary or send a photocopy and send it to the team leader to do with
as necessary.