Re: HTML as document source

Subject: Re: HTML as document source
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:12:14 -0700

>Yes, some web pages do look good when printed (on a laser or a good-quality
>color jet). The problem, though, as you noted in item 2, arises when the
>"page" on the screen runs more than one paper page.

The problem is not how to print hard copy from Web pages. Rather, it's
much easier to figure out how to create both hard copy and Web pages from
material stored in the same database.

For example, you could attach a comment at the end of each small chunk
of HTML code. Comments aren't visible via a browser - but the comment
would act as a floating keep, checking where it is on the page when it
prints. Get too far down the page and the comment forces a page break.

Javascript would probably work better than an HTML comment, but the
principle is the same.

>>in an ever-changing world. Then, if some users want a hardcopy,
>>let them get it, but let them know as well that it becomes
>>"suspect" as soon as it's printed.

>I agree in principle, but I would add one qualifier. I believe that this
>will become *almost totally* true within the next five years. Right now? I'm
>not sure.

Remember that this thread started from a Tech Writer who faced this
problem now. I agree that the situation may be uncommon, but 5 years
seems too pessimistic. Give it 3.

But this situation will become increasingly more frequent.

David (Just call me Cassandra) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus