Re: Online vs. Hardcopy documetation

Subject: Re: Online vs. Hardcopy documetation
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 12:59:55 -0700

Ellen Hladk asks...

>The company I work for is currently exploring the possibility of replacing most
>of our hardcopy documentation with online manuals (we would still keep
>installation, getting started, and troubleshooting information in a small
>hardcopy book).

>I was wondering if anybody has, or could point me in the direction of, any
>research about the pros and cons of doing this.

Check out the recent thread in this group on "HTML as document source".
It's specific to HTML, but covers much the same territory.

You're the 2nd person to ask a question like this in the past week. Maybe
I should revise my estimate that this kind of problem will overtake the field
of Tech Writing in 3 years (but I think I'll wait a bit first....).

David (Just call me Cassandra) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus