Re[2]: Icons v. Buttons and Apple

Subject: Re[2]: Icons v. Buttons and Apple
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 07:18:00 -0600

I don't represent Apple, but I believe they write "Open the SimpleText
icon" because double-clicking is not the only way to start an
application.

There's another reason for it. In Apple's OS, the icon and the program/file
are nearly identical. That is, what you do to the icon (throw it away, move
it to another folder, etc.) you do to the file.

I think they're simply echoing this in their word choice. The icon *is* the
program, not a pointer to it as in Windows, so you "open the icon."

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com