Re: Icons v. Buttons and Apple

Subject: Re: Icons v. Buttons and Apple
From: Michael Loader <softlogik -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 12:40:25 -0500

James M.Lockard

>>Of course, Apple loves to write "Open the SimpleText icon" instead of
>>double-clicking a desktop program icon, which I think is confusing.

>On the Mac, you can open an application by selecting its icon (which
>can be done with the keyboard) and pressing [Command] + "O". In Windows
>also, there are a number of different ways to start an application. Do
>you write "Open Pagemaker," or "Double-click the Pagemaker program
>item"? Either one of those options is better than "Open the SimpleText
>icon," but which option do you think is better?

>FWIW, I'd be the first to agree that "open the SimpleText icon" sounds
>awkward. Still, I like the idea of letting the user choose how to do
>the task. Maybe it's a question of scope?

I know that they used "Open" due to the "Open" command, I was just
pointing out that like you, I think it's awkward wording. They are
probably using "Open" just because it's always been that way, not
because it's the best term. To me, opening an icon implies that you're
opening the icon, not the program that the icon represents.

Regards,

--
Michael Loader
SoftLogik Publishing