Staffing ratios

Subject: Staffing ratios
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:39:37 +0000

The recent debate over note-taking has gotten me to ask an unusual
question. It popped up when Tim Altom said:

> And being mostly a female profession doesn't help, because ...

It is? Not to sound argumentative, but are we just accepting a
stereotype ourselves?

I've only been in the field for a dozen years, and only at four
companies, but here's a rough breakdown (first two are from memory,
but the numbers are close:

Job 1: About 60 writers and editors, 55 male /5 female
Job 2: About 80 writers and editors, roughly 70 male/10 female
Job 3: Three writers, all male.
Job 4: 24 writers and editors, 15 male/9female

Also, I can only recall one time in a job interview where I was aware
that the women on staff outnumbered the men.

Finally, contributors to this list seem to be fairly evenly split
between men and women.

This is an unscientific sample, to say the least...so I'm interested
in staffing ratios at other locations. Is the stereotype true?

E-mail me directly, please don't clog the list with these numbers.
I'll post a brief summary when done.

Rick Lippincott
Boston Technology
Wakefield, MA