Re: What would you do?

Subject: Re: What would you do?
From: Ruth Glaser <ruthg -at- GORETEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:17:56 -0500

Sue wondered if her standards for quality writing were too high. Before I
answer that, I have a few questions. (Please no flaming - my ignorance may
show here.)

1. In the sentence "Contacts are a subset of a prospect," is it the use
of "subset" as jargon that bothers you? Having worked with Contact
Management software, I can see an appropriate use for this construction.

2. My reference material (Hodges' Habrace College Handbook) has the
following rule:
Do not use commas to set off restrictive (necessary) clauses,
restrictive phrases, and restrictive appositives.
Note: Although some writers prefer to use "that" at the
beginning of restrictive clauses, "which" is also acceptable.

I do not use a comma before a restrictive clause introduced by "which".
Is this incorrect?

Now my comments:

Several of the errors you noted were unforgivable. However, I would
recognize that corporate style guides, editors, managers, etc. sometimes
make us write in ways we would rather not. A bulleted list of sentence
fragments, all terminated with periods could have been dictated by a
style guide.

IMHO, choosing the wrong verb tense, misspellings, spacing errors, etc.
are the fault of a writer and a good basis for disqualifying a potential
contractor. The use of periods with sentence fragments, etc. may be more
indicative of a corporate style, rather than a writer's ability.

I would give a little slack in certain areas and base my evaluation on
the writer's ability to organize information, explain things clearly, etc.

Ruth T. Glaser
ruthg -at- goretek -dot- com

--
Ruth T. Glaser e-mail: ruthg -at- goretek -dot- com
Goretek Data Systems, Inc. Phone: (612) 639-5043