Re: What would you do?

Subject: Re: What would you do?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 07:34:15 -0800

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996 07:49:17 -0400, Kat Nagel/MasterWork wrote:

>Susan Gallagher:
>>I got a call from a local TW contracting company the other day.
>> <horrific examples deleted>

>I wonder if the poor souls who subcontract through them ever saw the
>promotional materials?

Kat has an excellent point here: in most cases not pointing out the
problems with this promotional package would only affect the company in
question. In this case, one person's lousy writing (coupled with one
marketter's poor choice of material) could adversely affect a large
number of "innocents bystanders."

To expand on Sue's use of the Golden Rule ("Do unto others..."), how
would you feel if you were some OTHER writer on this company's roster,
getting no work because of the shoddy work they're sending out?
Personally, I'd want to know what a lousy job they were doing on my
behalf, so I could tell them to shape up or I'd ship out.

If I were a construction sub-contractor, I wouldn't want to be under
the wing of the folks who designed and built such gems as the Leaning
Tower of Pisa either :-)

>Yes. They should have their noses rubbed in it. Nicely, of course---but
>make it clear that you are taking your business elsewhere because they
>don't produce written material that meets your standards.

I still just Jeff's idea though -- correcting the mistakes and sending
the copy back with a big red 'F' on top. Just to be REALLY
condescending about it :-)

Your friend and mine,
Matt