Do you do QA?

Subject: Do you do QA?
From: Karen Mayer/Touch Technology <Karen_Mayer/Touch_Technology%TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY -at- NOTESGW -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:37:06 -0500

My coworker and I were recently informed that we were expected to perform QA
functions in addition to our writing responsibilities, and that QA engineers
would also be responsible for writing end-user documentation. In our combined
25+ years of experience, we have never been asked to do such a thing. We do not
have the training to do real QA testing.

Certainly we do usability testing as part of our job functions. We evaluate the
design of a product to ensure that it doesn't hinder the user rather than help
him do his job. But it seems odd to label us "QA test engineers/technical
writers" when we also design and create a product that needs to be QA tested.

I'd like the opinions of other writers. Am I being unreasonable in resisting
this arrangement?

Thanks!

Karen