Re: Reading/Writing connection in techcomm classes

Subject: Re: Reading/Writing connection in techcomm classes
From: "SALAVERRIA, Ramon" <rsalaver -at- MAIL1 -dot- CTI -dot- UNAV -dot- ES>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 16:43:18 +0200

Hi, Bobby.

I agree with you about the manner that you face your classes of technical communication. In fact, it is exactly the same as I have been taking in my short experience, two years, as teacher of technical writing at University of Navarra (Spain).

In your message, you asked for a textbook which could fit for your class:

> One challenge of teaching this class, for me, is finding a textbook and
> other materials which support an inductive/discovery approach to learning
> but which also provide appropriate guidance when it comes to tackling
> specific communication tasks. Consequently, I resist using textbooks that
> put forth "models" or "formulas" for completing writing tasks and which show
> little or no awareness of rhetorical context.

For my classes, apart from some well-known handbooks, it has been very useful this one:

Lisa Ede, Work in Progress. A Guide to Writing and Revising, 2nd ed., St. Martin's Press, New York, 1992 (ISBN:0-312-04831-9).

For its clever rethorical approach to technical writing and its wide variety of examples, I think that it could be the tool that you are looking for.

Best wishes from Spain,

Ramon Salaverria
rsalaver -at- mail1 -dot- cti -dot- unav -dot- es
Teacher of Technical Writing
University of Navarra

P.S.: I apologise for my probable grammar mistakes (specially in a list like this), but english isn't my mother language. Thank you.