Re: Naming conventions

Subject: Re: Naming conventions
From: Tom Neuburger <Tom_Neuburger -at- LTX-TR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:48:53 -0600

Reply to: RE>Naming conventions


I would call a picture of a full screen a "screen", a window within
the screen a "window", except for dialog boxes. A "dialog
box" (not a "dialog") is a window that opens and demands
attention--it must be responded to before other work can go on.

By the way, I don't like the term "dialog" for dialog boxes This seems
to have been carried over from Microsoft engineering documentation
by engineers who document their own Windows apps. To me, it
doesn't sound like English. A dialog is an event. A dialog box is
something that can appear on a computer screen. Unfortunately, enough
engineers write documentation that their terminology sometimes
sticks, even when it's ugly (IMHO).

There are other kinds of windows -- i.e., pallette -- but "window"
and "dialog box" should get you through.

Hope this helps.

Tom Neuburger

Date: 8/7/96 9:22 AM
To: Tom Neuburger
From: Meredith Townley
There has been a small debate in the office over how "screens" should be =
referenced in the documentation. I'm curious as to what others call =
what I refer to as screens. The debate includes calling them screens, =
dialogs, and windows. What is the norm or proper term and are the three =
terms above the same?

Meredith Townley, Technical Writer
Mtownley -at- Cgro -dot- com

TECHWR-L List Information
To send a message about technical communication to 2500+ list readers,
E-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send administrative commands
ALL other questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray, at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-

Previous by Author: Needed--Training personnel
Next by Author: Sugar (input and output)
Previous by Thread: Re: Naming conventions
Next by Thread: Re: Naming conventions

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads