Re: Re[2]: Certification

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Certification
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 08:56:18 HST

Umm, not to offend anyone, but probably every existing STC member would be
"grandfathered" in as a Certified Technical Writer ... So those who cannot
"write their way out of a paper bag" would also be CTW's.

Along with certification, would there be, or is there, a Technical
Communicators "Code of Ethics"? Just thinking that other "professional"
organizations are usually famous for having a code of ethics that members are
expected to follow ...

BTW, does anybody else think "Children's Television Workshop" when they see CTW
in print?

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachements thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU
From: flahertj @ SMTPGW.LIEBERT.COM (Joyce Flaherty)
Date: 08/06/96 06:42:31 PM
Subject: Re[2]: Certification

Kat Nagel (katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net) writes:
<snip>
STC is a great organization, but all that's required for
membership is a filled-in application form and a check. That
ain't certification for anything, by anybody's standards.
<snip>

Amen! I know a few check-writers who can't write their way out
of a paper bag. I know an STC local officer who can't write his/her
way out of a paper bag. Would I drop my membership because anyone
can become a member of the group? Nope. OTOH, if my favorite local
office, who can't write his/her way out of a paper bag, ever, in
this life or another life, by some outrageous surreptitious means,
managed to get certified, I could not in good conscience become a
member of the elite certified group. So, be careful STC and others.
If you are going to do this, find a way to ensure its value.

joyce flaherty
flahertj -at- liebert -dot- com