Re: Naming conventions

Subject: Re: Naming conventions
From: SMcKinney & KAstry <104146 -dot- 13 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:02:53 EDT

Meredith Townley wrote:

>>There has been a small debate in the office over how "screens" should be =
referenced in the documentation. I'm curious as to what others call =
what I refer to as screens. The debate includes calling them screens, =
dialogs, and windows. What is the norm or proper term and are the three =
terms above the same?<<

Here's what we do:

The screen is the physical monitor. We refer to what's on the screen as the
display for non-Windows applications (such as our legacy products).

For our Windows products, we refer to windows as windows; what the user sees
when s/he launches an editor. Often we use tabs to treble, quadruple, etc., the
"room" on the window. We refer to those as tabs, such as the Definition tab. We
call "special" entry screens dialog boxes, because they come up with additional
options not found on the main tab on the window. Anytime they choose options in
dialog boxes, they must do something to return to the main tab such as click OK
or Cancel.

Kristy Astry
Columbine JDS

TECHWR-L List Information
To send a message about technical communication to 2500+ list readers,
E-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send administrative commands
ALL other questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray, at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-

Previous by Author: Re: VALUE synonym
Next by Author: Using Domino to Publish Documentation on Internet
Previous by Thread: Re: Naming conventions
Next by Thread: Re: Naming conventions

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads