Pagination and indexing online docs

Subject: Pagination and indexing online docs
From: "Massaglia, Samantha" <Samantha -at- MS -dot- PALS -dot- MSUS -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:11:00 PDT

This is my first post to the list serve.

I'm in charge of a project to convert a number of hard copy manuals,
(originally written using WP 6.0 and 6.1) to an online format. We've
managed to convert most of the first manual, but are running into problems
with indexing and pagination. I should also explain, we plan to make two
versions of our documentation available: One will be a verbatim
representation of our hard copy manuals, which our clients will download and
print out. The other version will be an HTML document, formatted
specifically for online use.

Here's the problem: We're not sure how to generate an online index that will
be useful when the manual is printed out (since the Web chooses where the
page breaks occur).

Here's the only solution that we've come up with so far:

1) Print the online manual (with Netscape) without the index.
2) Use WordPerfect to repaginate the document using hard page breaks so that
the page breaks are the same in the WP document as they are in the web
printout .
3) Generate the index in WP based on this repaginated WP document.
4) Convert it to HTML and put it online with the rest of the manual.

***Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the problem of managing the links from
the index entries to the rest of the document.***

Thanks for your time,
Samantha