Re: Pagination and indexing online docs

Subject: Re: Pagination and indexing online docs
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 16:51:00 -0700

Samantha Massaglia asks...

>Here's the problem: We're not sure how to generate an online index that will
>be useful when the manual is printed out (since the Web chooses where the
>page breaks occur).

IMHO, no one else is sure either. There was a thread about this earlier
plus a recent STC article about on-line indices. I can refer you to both
if you're interested, as I kept copies (I think).

Also IMHO, on-line indices do not seem to map well to hard copy indices.
To cite an example of only one problem, if you have a glancing reference
to "Dogs", do you build an on-line index entry to your reference or to
the URL from which you derived most of your information? Both?

A fascinating topic, what. I'm looking forward to your ideas.

David (Just call me Cassandra) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus