Re: job openings - to list or not to list

Subject: Re: job openings - to list or not to list
From: Paul Nagai <paul -at- PANAGA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:41:58 -0700

Thom suggested the following guidelines:
>o One position per note - or a group of positions, ...
>o Location (state) and type of job in subject line ...
>o Specific location information in body of note ...
>o Essential information only ...
>o E-mail address - if possible - in the note ...

These are all good guidelines and I agree with them. The most important, I
think, is the job type and location in the subject line. Indeed, the subject
line should begin with JOB:. This will allow sorting, filtering, etc.

I would suggest the following additional guidelines:

Job listings should only be posted once. Repeat postings should be banned.

No recruiters allowed. If recruiters are allowed to post to techwr-l,
signal/noise will plummet. Check out the DAILY postings of some of the
recruiting agencies in ba.jobs.* to get a feel for the sort of posting
volume with which we could be deluged. Actually, I don't think this should
be a guideline, this should be an absolute restriction.
------
Paul Nagai: paul -at- panaga -dot- com