Portfolios? -Reply

Subject: Portfolios? -Reply
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 10:52:28 -0600

As concerns portfolios. I think Bob Morrisette has the right
idea. When a really good job is posted, you may see 200 or
more resumes cross the desk of the potential employer.
According to my feedback, these are mostly from unqualified
applicants. So, a qualified applicant might have fifty
serious competitors. A company might interview all fifty
applicants after the first big cut. Bob wants to make an
impression in such an environment, and it sounds like he
does.

He and others have also correctly mentioned that we don't
want the interviewers grubby hands on our original work.
These are two reasons I recommend satellite portfolios to my
students. A third reason is because it gives a beginning
writer the opportunity to design and build a major, book
length document that show off his or her skills when he or
she is not being driven by the demands of a client--the
portfolio.

Such a work is an opportunity for the very talented to
demonstrate their talent. Unfortunately, for the
not-so-very talented, this shows them for what they are not.

As for adding book length publications? How are such things
handled in CA? You select sections of the best from these
works and add them. I have a book that has won a national
best from CASE and several collections of work that have won
prizes from paper companies. These represent the whole
spectrum of sizes and shapes. The easiest way to unify them
is to consolidate them into a single self-promotional work.

Also, I don't put my work on CDS, I include my CDS in the
portfolio, along with copies of captured screens and
commentary. There transparency pages available that are
designed specifically for that purpose.

Hoping this is useful. . . . (also hoping I don't have too
many typos--I forgot my glasses this am).

By the way. . . a professional puzzle. If you call evening
P.M., and you call the morning A.M., and you call midnight
P.M., what is noon?

Dave Hailey
fahailey -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu