Re: Seeking a solution (for Acrobat search)

Subject: Re: Seeking a solution (for Acrobat search)
From: Bill Hartzer <XBJH%mimi -at- MAGIC -dot- ITG -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 07:57:01 -0500

David Egyes said:

"Currently, we're using Adobe Acrobat. We'd like a viewer that offers a
better search facility."

David, have you heard the term, "it doesn't get better than this"?
Adobe Acrobat's search capability, in my opinion, is one of the best
ever produced, giving the user the capability to search 200,000 pages of
documentation in less than 10 seconds in most cases (depending on the
speed of the user's hardware). If the doc is located on a hard drive
(rather than on a CD-ROM) it's even faster.

I'm really curious: what types of problems/dilemmas have you been
having with Adobe's search capability? I've _NEVER_ had any legitimate
complaints from my users about it. They think it's unbelievable. In
fact, just the other day I had a customer call me and complain; he said
that my product is not searching the 275,000 pages of doc that's on the
CD-ROM I sent him. I asked him why, and he said, "it only takes 5
seconds to search...it couldn't possibly be searching all of the
documents." I was able to prove it by asking him to find some obscure
term in an Acrobat file and then search for that term; it took about 5
seconds to find it. Needless to say he ate his words.

Regards,
Bill Hartzer Bill Hartzer
Contract Technical Writer President
Texas Instruments, Inc. Highfield Marketing Group, Inc.
Dallas, TX USA Irving, TX USA
xbjh -at- msg -dot- ti -dot- com Highfield -at- aol -dot- com
(214) 575 - 2041 (800) 664 - 3251 toll free
(214) 798 - 2976 voice pager (214) 432 - 0152 fax
"Highfield Marketing Group, Inc. is the proud maker of the CD-ROM
TalentBank(tm), an electronically searchable resume database full of
quality professionals in the computer, high-tech, and technical writing
industries. Never a fee for applicants. Employers and recruiters
can search thousands of resumes electronically on their desktops while
applicants can reach thousands of employers with their resume."