Re: Seeking a solution (for Acrobat search)

Subject: Re: Seeking a solution (for Acrobat search)
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -at- ENVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:04:56 -0500

Gang,

Going to chime in here....

We've had some problems with some incorrectly built indexes from Adobe
Catalog, with word mysteriously missing when we do some spot checks.
Certainly could be PBCAK (pronounced PEB-CAK... problem between chair and
keyboard!) but we're just following the directions. Also, the sparse
Acrobat documentation doesn't help matters either. But, it is amazingly
effective in cross platform usability, and that's why we've stuck with it.

Bill H. It "does" get better than Acrobat as far as searching is
concerned. I've seen viewers with better search engines than the Verity
engine that comes with Acrobat. Namely, Folio Views!

Folio eats the Verity engine for lunch as far as speed is concerned. In
the same scenario that Bill H. presented, Folio would return your request
in less than a second!! And, (sorry Lori L.) with the query templates you
can build (like html forms), indexes are absolutely unnecessary in Folio
(IMHO of course... your mileage may vary). It also offers bonus features
such as

The only problem with Folio as it stands right now, it won't run native on
any UNIX platform... It will work in some of the Windows emulators for
UNIX though, and it does cover the MAC too! They even have an real-time
Infobase (that's what a Folio document is called) to HTML web server that
allows you to display Infobases in your Web Browser of your choice (which
would be another way to deploy on the UNIX side). A viewer for native UNIX
(Solaris, HPUX) will be out in 1st quarter '97 according to the folio
folks.

Want to find out more about folio? try www.folio.com. Or, MCA if you're
out there, you might want to chime in.

cheers,
Bill Bledsoe
Technical Communicator
Envision Solutions
SQA MGR/Process Lead
bill -at- envision -dot- com
or
intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

"I'm out on a limb where the fun begins"
Adrian Belew/The Bears