Re: Information Mapping

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -at- ENVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 12:48:31 -0500

Brad,List,

You're a bit off in your take on Chunking in Info Mapping. It has little
to do with block labels, and transitions are some of the things that Info
Mapping eliminates. Chunking, according to my handy Info Map cheat sheets
is the following:

"The grouping of information into small, manageable units."

They further define a "manageable unit" as:

"one consisting of no more than nine pieces of information"

Their rationale is that research suggests people can best process and
remember no more than seven, plus or minus two pieces (or units) of
information at one time. They also note that as the complexity of the
information increases, the chunking limit decreases.

I have found this principle of Information Mapping probably the most useful
in my work. Therefore, I thought I'd make sure it is clear with everyone
in Techwr-L land.

cheers,
Bill Bledsoe
Technical Communicator
Envision Solutions
SQA MGR/Process Lead
bill -at- envision -dot- com
or
intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

"I'm out on a limb where the fun begins"
Adrian Belew/The Bears