Re: resizing graphics

Subject: Re: resizing graphics
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 19:24:09 -0700

At 10:33 AM 8/29/96 +1000, you wrote:
>I don't know about RoboHelp, but I use Paint Shop Pro.
>Using PSP, I capture the graphic in gif non-interlaced 87a
>format and link it to Word. They seem to resize just fine.

>As I said, this is with Word, not RoboHelp. Hope it
>helps.

Your final qualification is an accurate and important distinction.

I've seen threads and discussions similar to this several times on this
list. The distinction between resizing graphics in (or for use in) a word
processing or DTP package and online help is huge. It boils down to this:

--In online help, the end result is displayed on a monitor. When you reduce
a bitmap, you are effectively "squeezing" an image into something smaller.
For example, let's look at reducing a typical 640x480 image to a 320x240
image. In this case, the scaling software has to map more than one pixel's
worth of information into one pixel. When the pixels have the same color
value (all red or all white or all green, etc.), the result is academic,
meaning the resulting pixel takes on the same color as the original ones.
However, distortion results when the pixels have different colors. The
mapping algorithm in the scaling software must decide on one resulting
color. This also changes the file size of the image.

--In a word processing package, the software maps black (or white or
colored) dots to a 300dpi or 600 dpi printer. Changes in the map due to
scaling are not very noticeable because of the high resolution of the
printer. When you scale an image in in a WP package, all of the information
about the image is retained even though it is scaled on the monitor. It
generally prints just fine.

I have scaled graphics for use in both applications. For online help, I've
found that PaintShop Pro works great for capturing and Adobe Photoshop works
best for resizing. However, the end result is never perfect.

Regards...Kris