Re: Word and page numbering mystery - SOLVED + SUMMARY!!

Subject: Re: Word and page numbering mystery - SOLVED + SUMMARY!!
From: Carla Lotito <lotitoc -at- BERCLAIN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:27:25 -0400

Thanks to all those kind souls who answered my plea.

Your answers gave me ideas which finally, solved the problem. I will have
parallel documents (a master document and separate files) just in case my
master document does odd things. Then, I'll be prepared.

The solution I implemented: (not very elegant but it works)

1. REMOVE all continous section breaks.
2. Create a paragraph style Text1pt (one point size font) in the template.
3. Place this paragraph style after the last step in the first row of the table.
(the auto numbering now restarts because there's a new para style)
4. Reinsert your page numbering in headers and footers.

ROW 1 Mouse 1. (STEP1 style)
2. (STEP1 style)
(TEXT1PT style)
ROW 2 Key 1. (STEP1 style)
2.

Quotes appear before responses I have not paraphrased.

SUMMARY OF RESPONSES

1. STOP using the master document feature. It is unstable and could be the
cause of the problem. Divide everything into separate files and do the TOC
and index with the RD fields. Good idea!!

2. GET RID of continous section breaks. As always, section breaks are a hassle.
Done!

3. " Have you been indexing as you write? So often when page breaks or
section breaks disappear in Word, it's because they've been swallowed by a
hidden text entry. When this happens, the breaks do everything they're
supposed to do
except show up in the document. So, go into Normal view and click the
paragraph symbol in the toolbar to view "everything", then check to see if
you have an extra section break that's "hidden"."

4. "Get these files:

master11.zip
tagger3d.zip (might be tagger4.zip by now)

from this site:

ftp://ftp.winsite.com/pub/pc/win3/winword/

MasterView (freeware) and Tagger (freeware for version 3d, shareware for
version 4) are Word macro sets that run equally well in Word6 and Word7.

MasterView and
Tagger work the same in both. Since using the two macro sets, I haven't had
any GPFs, Word "out of memory" calls, or problems with file sizes. I split
the document into many files based on the organization in the ToC. I number
the files so they appear in my subdirectoy in the order I want to link them. "

5. "Do not use continuing breaks. Use New Page."

Once again, thanks! (what would one do without this list?)

Carla.

Carla Lotito
Sainte-Foy, Quebec
lotitoc -at- berclain -dot- com