Re: Info Mapping : the "7 +/- 2" rule

Subject: Re: Info Mapping : the "7 +/- 2" rule
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 06:39:21 PDT

Hmmmmm...

As far as remembering steps -- realistically, how critical
is it? I cannot remember (sorry) the last time that I
read instructions, remembered them, then applied them.
Computer-stuff or anything with some assembly
required, I generally read one step, do it, read another
do that, and so forth. Either I fall into that first
standard deviation that Frederic mentioned, or I don't
read instructions "normally."

I'm usually pretty good at following directions
(after it didn't work the first time and I resorted
to reading the manual), but can't imagine that it'd
make a difference to me if there were 3 or 33 steps.
I'd remember them one at a time anyway.

Are there ANY studies that apply this theory to
instructional text? I'd even be interested in
anecdotal evidence -- how many of the people on TECHWR-L
read all steps, remember them, then apply them?
How many go one step at a time?

Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

--- On Thu, 5 Sep 1996 09:12:42 -0700 Frederic Wronecki <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- WANADOO -dot- FR>