The Right Stuff

Subject: The Right Stuff
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 19:35:00 +0100

Hello Lynda,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Lynda Fleet an All am 08.09.96

LF> From: Lynda Fleet <lyfleet -at- RICHMOND -dot- INFI -dot- NET>

LF> I've
LF> always thought that anyone with a good knowledge of language,
LF> and the
LF> ability to grasp technical material and then translate it for
LF> general
LF> readership could be a technical writer. Am I way off base here?

you may have a good base to start, but that is not enough:

- You need knowledge about standards and laws.
- You need knowledge about how to address a certain audience.
- You must know a lot about the tools you are to use.

How should you know where to place warnings and what they must look like? Can
you start a job e.g. using Interleaf without some kind of training?

There might be jobs you can do. But you might not be able to recognize your
limits and here it get dangerous.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)